One thing I’m finding as I (figuratively) race towards that half-marathon finish line is that music really helps to get my motor runnin’.
Initially, when I started training for the half marathon (kindly added to the list by my little brother, Dane), I went without the old iPod. The only sounds that could be heard were the slapping of my feet against the footpath and the wheezing gasps for air as I hit each hill. Sometimes I even managed to cough out a brief “Kill me.” to Andy, but apart from that it was basically silent.
I’ve never been a huge music fan (my friends will tell you I’ve pulled out of more concerts than Nicki Minaj) but it definitely helps to make a long run seem shorter and a wheeze fade into a quiet huff and/or puff.
I have a separate playlist, cleverly entitled ‘Exercise songs’, which I now take with me each time we run. Since I’m usually too puffed to say much to Andy anyway, it’s not really as anti-social as it sounds.
I know a few of you have exercise goals of your own so I thought I’d share some of my favourites from the playlist – perhaps they’ll come in handy to you too?
- Run to You, Bryan Adams – I have always been a shameless pop fan and this is my ultimate running song. If you don’t pick up your heels to this then you may need to check your pulse.
- Panic, Backstreet Boys – It’s the lyrics of this song and the perfect beat combined that send this tune to the top of my list. Ironically the lyrics “Go. Stop and Go.” usually come on just as I’m approaching a ‘Don’t Walk’ sign.
- Tragedy, Bee Gees – This one actually gets me doing the hand actions as I run along! It’s a great one for getting a bit more energy back into your step when you’re halfway through.
- Meet me Halfway, Black Eyed Peas – This song always gets me in a good mood and makes me feel like I’m hitting the town instead of the wall. It also has a good upbeat tempo for running to.
- Sexy Bitch, David Guetta feat. Akon – What better than a misguided and sexist compliment to make you feel good when you’re red as a tomato with slicked-down sweaty hair?
- One Way or Another, Blondie – This one is a little faster so great for picking up speed without really noticing.
- Untouched, The Veronicas – Another shameless pop anthem, but the reason I like this song is because the beat exactly matches my typical pace and it gets me picking my knees up higher and taking longer strides.
- Relax, Calvin Harris – I love when this song comes on because I’ve made a bargain with myself that whenever it does I get to slow down and actually relax! A nice one to take a break to before picking the speed back up again.
- Pump up the Jam, Technotronic – I don’t know what it is about 90s music, but whenever it comes on when I’m running it just brings a big smile to my face… “Get your boody on the floor tonight, make my day!”
- Canned Heat, Jamiroquai – Say no more.
A fashion “tragedy” if ever I saw one
I’m always on the hunt for new songs to add to the playlist. What are your exercise favourites?